Summer Institute 2012 - Recap
Over 90 educators attended the 7th annual Summer Institute for Climate Change Education on August 7 and 8 at the School of Environmental Studies in Apple Valley, MN. This Summer Institute focused on climate science basics, introduced the second edition of the Minnesota's Changing Climate curriculum and provided training on many of the hands-on activities from the Minnesota's Changing Climate curriculum. Educators had the opportunity to hear from Dr. John Abraham, Dr. Eugenie Scott and Will Steger as well as a variety of excellent breakout speakers. The breakout speakers provided skills, resources and excellent information to enrich the use of the Minnesota’s Changing Climate curriculum in the classroom. Many thanks to our major food sponsors: Common Roots Catering, Valley Natural Foods Co-op, French Meadow Bakery and Café and Birchwood Café, The Wedge Co-op, Linden Hills Co-op and Mississippi Market.
Quotes from participants:
"All of the activities and speakers were valuable...This was one of the best professional development opportunities I have participated in."
"I can't thank you enough for putting on such a wonderful event. I learned so much from your excellent speakers, breakout sessions and trainings."
"The tools and resources in the online classroom will be very engaging for my students. I'm very grateful for the resources that I've received to accompany the Minnesota's Changing Climate curriculum."
"This was a wonderful use of my time-I gained a great deal and I am excited to utilize what I have learned."
Photos (click to enlarge):
Summer Institute 2012 Video
- Day 01:
- Dr. John Abraham - Keynote Speaker - Powerpoint or Video
- Kristen Poppleton - Introduction to Minnesota's Changing Climate Curriculum
- Kristen Poppleton - Climate Change Impacts and the Mississippi River
- Kristen Poppleton - Misconceptions, Skeptics and Deniers
- Pete Boulay - CoCoRahs in Minnesota: Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network
- Mary Spivey - The Science of Global Climate Change: How Climate Change May Affect Minnesota's Ecosystems
- Jeff Ledermann - Integrating Environmental and Outdoor Education - Powerpoint or Video
- Laura Duffey - Outdoor Classrooms: What's a School Forest and How Do I Use It?
- Rebecca Montgomery - Signs of the Seasons: the Timing of Biological Activity Under Climate Change - Powerpoint or Video
- Joe Kruse - Youth Engagement
- Eugenie Scott - NCSE's Climate Change Education Initiative - Powerpoint or Video
- Day 02:
Summer Institute Event Sponsors
Summer Institute Food Sponsors
Additional Thanks To